Saturday 27 September 2014

Pouring beer away

IMG_4984

Sigh. It had to happen sooner or later. To be fair, we’ve made seventy batches of beer now (the first being in May 2010) and this is the first time I have been forced to pour a barrel away.

What happened? Well this was a Rye IPA, which we made on 9th June. It was OK initially, but got overlooked by other more exciting beers like the CF103 trial. Fairly early on I had some problems with the rubber seal inside the barrel cap – it was old and had become a bit perished and warped so it did not fit snugly inside the cap. The photo below shows the replaced seal – the bright white ring. The faulty seal meant that I couldn’t get the cap to close properly and when beer was drawn from the barrel air was being drawn in at the top. It must have been more than I expected, because despite changing the seal the beer eventually went sour.

I have to admit that in the past we have drunk up at least one barrel that went a bit sour. I remember way back we made a Belgian Pale Ale, but souring resulted in a “rebranding exercise” to a “Belgian Sour”. Hmm. I think pouring it away and making a fresh batch is a better solution. It hurts a bit at the time, but I’d rather drink perfect beer. (And anyway, it gives me something to blog about!)

IMG_4988

No comments:

Post a Comment